Sweet Dreams – A banner idea

Linda_Neff_mini_mug_shotWhen you’re not much of a card maker it’s often a challenge to figure out how to use products made for card makers in a different way. That was my challenge for my new Spellbinder’s die I received recently.

This is the new Spellbinder’s Die Labels Thirty-Six, S4-418. They’re really cute labels! I used them to create an adorable banner. I love banners – don’t you? They just look so cute hanging across a window, cabinet, on the wall – just about anywhere! I started by cutting the shapes from a DCWV Stack titled Dark Romance. I chose several coordinating papers and cut each size out of different designs for stacking.


The title ‘DREAM’ is made from chipboard letters. I placed them in the Xyron 2.5″ Create-A-Sticker face-down then sprinkled with a pretty pinkish glitter – Tea Rose Ultrafine Opaque from Art Glitter.


I like to gently press the glitter into the adhesive to ensure it stays put. While the chipboard was out I ran some scraps through the Xyron as well to make dimensional squares for stacking the labels.


The two bottom layers of the larger flags are layered on top of one another, stuck together with Xyron 5″ Creative Station and permanent adhesive. The top layer is popped up with the home-made dimensional squares.


After stacking the three large labels together I then stacked the three smaller labels together to use as filler between the larger flags on the banner and added a little fussy-cut butterfly and moth.


After the letters are glittered they’re put through the Xyron 2.5″ Create-A-Sticker face up and then centered on the larger flag.


I used a 1/16″ Fiskars hole punch to make small holes near the tops of all the flags and threaded May Arts Solid Wrinkle Ribbon through them.

I’m happy with the results and think it looks very nice hanging on this old cabinet I’ve been working on lately. I think it would look very cute in a little girls room. I can see it hanging on the wall above the bed so send her off to slumber land with thoughts of sweet dreams.


To see even more great ideas for Xyron and Spellbinders check out their Facebook pages.




Just coming off CHA this week. For those of you who may not be aware, this is one of our major trade shows for the Craft and Hobby Association. There are two shows each year; the first in January. It’s a show where the manufacturers display their wares for store owners and designers. It’s a great place to spot new trends and see which timeless classics are still around. It’s very exciting to have an opportunity to attend and I had the double pleasure of also being able to share my love for some of my favorite products from Globecraft Memories. It was a great time but I’m home again and it’s time to get that craft room (aka Studio) cleaned up and organized again so I can get back to work!

This month I completed a cd mini book  for our partnership with Xyron and Trinity Paper Arts using the “Sincerely” packet I received. I used 5 cds which gave me 10 pages to play with – lots of room to add photos of my daughter, Rachel, and her boyfriend, Kyle. I still own a Coluzzle and love the circle template because it’s the perfect size to fit the cds. I use nothing but my Xyron machines to coat the paper with adhesive. It holds really well to the plastic cd and I’ve never experienced the papers or photos lifting – even after several years of use and abuse. For the cds, which are about 5 1/2 inches in diameter, either the 9″ Creative Station or the Creatopia work great!

I also used Spellbinder die Mix’d Media Elements for the first time and was so impressed as to how it embossed! I’ve started using Spellbinder dies and can understand how people get hooked. Notice the two embossed hearts on the cover flower. The bird and frames/mats are all die cuts from the same Spellbinder die too.

The flower is cut from Tim Holtz’ Tattered Florals die and the ornate plate is chipboard cut from Tim Holtz Tag and Bookplates which is painted with the Adirondack Snow Cap Paint Dabber then coated with Glossy Accents on the inner rim and Crackle Accents on the outer rim. That’s a sticker in the middle from Trinity Paper Arts.


The photos were edged with Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger), heat set, then run through my Xyron 9″ Creative Station. I decorated several cd pages prior to using the Xyron.


And this is how the rest of the book turned out! Check out the rest of the Design Team’s projects using Xyron and Trinity Paper Arts by visiting http://aintshecrafty.blogspot.com/




Aren’t they the cutest couple!